You cannot pass any of the high end frequencies of the PR40. If your transmission BW is 2.5 kHZ, and the low frequency roll off is 200 Hz, the high end frequency to be transmitted is 2700 Hz. Everything from 3000 Hz to 16000 Hz is left in the mic cable. Still it’s a nice microphone.... if you shape it properly.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Costa
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 11:32 AM
To: Patrick Greenlee ; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Microphone Recommendation?

I personally have a PR40 for my Flex5K. I was instructed to use the TX EQ and compander to tailor the audio on the 5K. I have been told that my audio was distorted with the TX EQ and compander. The audio on the PR40 seems very pleasant without adding any external tailoring, as I have been told by friends in my local roundtable weekly ragchew.

I purchased the PR40 to help reduce my RF ingress issues with my 5K. It did help, but I have been also told that the audio in my 5K is the same with my expensive PR40 than a mainstream Yaesu microphone that I was using before purchasing the PR40.

Yes, the Heil PR40 looks nice, it has great specifications, but I would challenge people to put on different microphones, (if you have access to them) and compare the audio between the microphones. You might just save yourself a bunch of money, as a more inexpensive microphone might just serve your purpose.

My two cents from my experience.

73
Robert
KB6QXM