Maybe your computer graphics resolution is beyond that your new monitor can support. Try connecting your old monitor, change the resolution to say 1024 x 768 and then connect the new monitor. You can now increase the resolution until it doesn't work, do nothing and the resolution falls back to the last good value.
Or maybe you are right an you need some kind of connector adapter.

Regards,
Ignacio EB4APL