Mark quite honestly I wouldn't say your use case is very common.  Direct IP is
probably(definitely)  a ways out at this time, and using a Ham radio in a
commercial multi subnet environment make is even less common.  Depending on
your IT policies your workaround is probably limited to a vpn connection
between subnets, and one that supports broadcast traffic over vpn.

Flex Radio's "LAN" remote capability was proven to mostly work fine over WAN
with VPN, even though they don't officially support it. I had it running within
30 minutes of the functionality release.

So what is your solution? perhaps a soft ether vpn.  Check the flex community
and you will find plenty of information on this.  VPN into the other subnet and
allow broadcast traffic.

The 6000 is a work in progress, and there are many things being worked on and
developed.  there are 3rd party apps, and new peripherals nearing release now
that will need similar re-architecture to make this work..

Were I you I would start looking into a creative solution that you can come up
with for your environment,  to use the product now...  IP based connectivity
will require a significant architectural shift and will take those guys
significant time to implement.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

GL..

Chris