Jon S. Berndt writes:

 > I am trying to add some logic in there that freezes the model when
 > a crash occurs. The problem is coming up with a set of cases that
 > works for crash detection. This is hard to do accurately without a
 > surface normal and knowing which triangle a contact point is on. In
 > the near-term, I'll just look for whacky values for the gear
 > forces.

I think that's good enough, and can be made generally robust.  You can
extend the UNDERCARRIAGE section of the JSBSim config files to add a
new AC_GEAR field for maximum force -- if this force is exceeded, the
plane is assumed to be unflyable and the sim should display a message
and stop.  The maximum forces for the gear and skid are reasonably
high; the maximum forces for other points on the airframe should be
close to zero.

Right now, the C172 defines gear (i.e. contact points) for the nose
wheel, left wheel, right wheel, tail skid, left wingtip, and right
wingtip.  Once crash detection is in place, Tony could add a few more
contact points (i.e. the top of the vertical stabilizer, the tips of
the horizontal stabilizer, the top of the fuselage, and the propellor
extremities) with low maximum-allowed force.  It's a cheap-and-easy
way to add useful crash information.

All the best,

David

--