Andy Ross wrote:

> Erik Hofman wrote:
>
>> I'v uploaded a new wind.wav file
>> at:http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/download/
>> Before you can use it you have to aplly a small patch.
>>
>> > +  _crank->set_pitch(1.9);
>> >    if (rel_wind > 60.0) {    // a little off 30kt
>> > -    float volume = rel_wind/1200.0;    // FIXME!!!
>> > +    float volume = rel_wind/300.0;    // FIXME!!!
>> > +    double pitch = 1.9*(airspeed_kt/67.0);
>> >      _wind->set_volume(volume);
>> > +    _wind->set_pitch(pitch);
>

> These patches simply look like you're changing unit conventions.  The
> default pitch of the sample is different, and the volume is scaled
> differently.  Why not just fix that in the sample instead?  Even

Can't be done. The audio energy of the default sound is much higher than

the one i have suplied (and remember this is a logarthmic scale ...)

> better would be coming up with a "standard" for sound samples, so that
> they can all work identically with pitch shifting.  Or better still
> would be a soft-coded XML description that tells the engine when and
> how to play each sound.  But replacing one set of magic numbers (1 and
> 300) with another (1.9 and 1200) is probably not the right way to go.

I know. There is even another problem. The wind sound is caused by the
aircrafts haul. Imagine the differences between the X-15 and the Cessna
172. This requires formula translation from XML code ...

> Also, I suspect that you want the rel_wind parameter, and not V_equiv.

As far as I knw the pitch is relative to the aircrafts air-speed (and
maybe the wind speed, but since it would normally be far less than the
aircrafts speeds this can be neglegtet IMHO).

> The rel_wind is direction-independant, while V is the forward airspeed
> only (it's for display on the airspeed gauge, etc...).  Think of a
> gusting crosswind while sitting on the runway during a storm.

Erik