On Thursday 29 November 2001 4:10 pm, you wrote:
> One thing that would be nice in terms of distributing and managing
> multiple aircraft would be for everything related to a single aircraft
> (fdm config, textures, instrument panel, sounds, etc.) to be located
> under a single subdirectory.  This simplifies distributing,
> installing, and removing aircraft (especially for those that
> concentrate their efforts on things besides learning to be a
> sys-admin.)

This was my exact reason for making it like it is now. We need to find a
happy medium to prevent duplication as much as possible.

> We could have standard instruments, sounds, textures, etc. arranged
> differently so aircraft could opt to reference system files rather
> than their own, but they could override any instrument, texture,
> sound, etc. with something in their local tree.

Thats kind of what I mean. IMO stock instrument sets could be grouped
by airframe manufacturer. Picture

Aircraft/
           Beech/
                      Instruments
                       $model
           Cessna/
                       Instruments
                       $model
           Piper/
                    Instruments
                    $model

> Regards,
>
> Curt.
>
> David Megginson writes:
> > John Check writes:
> >  > hehe forgot about that one. I think now would be a good time to
> >  > consider changing the directory structure to something like:
> >  >
> >  > Aircraft/
> >  >  Cessna
> >  >          /
> >  >          Instruments
> >  >          c172
> >  >                 /Panels
> >  >                  Instruments
> >  >          c310
> >  >                                    /
> >  >                                    Panels
> >  >                 Instruments
> >
> > I recommend something quite different:
> >
> >   Aircraft/
> >   Aircraft/Aero/
> >   Aircraft/Instruments/
> >   Aircraft/Panels/
> >   Aircraft/Sounds/
> >   Aircraft/Models/
> >
> > Directly inside Aircraft, we would have a top-level property file for
> > each specific model configuration (specifying FDM, aero model, panel,
> > sounds, 3D model, etc.).

I dunno, I think having it categorized by manufacturer is a little tidier.
Aircraft/Manufacturer/Model/ == MODEL_ROOT

>>Aero/ would hold the JSBSim config files,

put in $MODEL_ROOT

> > Instruments/ would hold the instrument property files, Panels/ would
> > hold the panel property files, Sounds/ would hold all
> > aircraft-specific sounds, and Models/ would hold all aircraft 3D
> > models.

Model specific under $MODEL_ROOT
Pretty much what we have now except for the manufacturer
classification.

> > For example, the file Aircraft/c172-vfr.xml might reference

I like that as far as a place to keep the top level aircraft cfg,
but if it references everything under one subdirectory we don't
need any kind of installer/uninstaller script.
rm -rf Cessna/C172-VFR/* will do the trick

We could forget about the manufacturer classifcation here
and do

Aircraft/Instruments/
                                extremely_generic.xml
                               Manufacturer/
                                                    OEM-style.xml
           $MODEL/
                          Instruments/
                                             model_specific.xml

Have the top level config under Aircraft
Have the different panel styles each have their own $Model dir
with $MODEL-panel.xml at the top and all model specific
parts under. Or something.

> > Aircraft/Aero/c172/c172.xml, Aircraft/Panels/c172-vfr-panel.xml,
> > Aircraft/Sounds/io360.wav, Aircraft/Models/skyhawk.vrml, and many
> > other files.  The panel would reference
> > Aircraft/Instruments/gyro.xml, etc.

Yes but maybe we have several styles of whatever.
Unique names takes care of that but it could end up being pretty sloppy.