At 04:22 PM 12/14/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Once upon a time, you were sitting and writing:
>
> > Would it be possible to model skyglow in FlightGear? That way you could
> see
> > when you're approaching a city, even when you can't see it for
> mountains etc.
>
>Interesting question. You could either try volumetric fog rendering
>(yeah sure- on my GeForce9000), or seek for the right OpenGL technique.
>
>I'm not a big expert in such phenomena (so correct me if I'm wrong), but I
>guess fog and particles (and clouds) are the reason for the sky glow. One
>can render a thin yellow cloud layer to create a nice illusion.
>
>The city itself is a huge lightsource which should be used to illuminate
>the terrain (and objects) around.
>
>Hope it helps to define a more accurate problem :)

You don't need clouds or fog; even "clear" air has enough scattering to
make skyglow visible over the horizon. Quite a lovely effect, and it would
be worth some programming effort.

As you say, it would take some ultra-streamlined rendering. I'm doing an
animation project on a .45 auto pistol, and the rendering times on the
muzzle blast are pretty hefty.

rj