Curtis L. Olson writes:

>Bernie Bright writes:
>> "Curtis L. Olson" wrote:
>> >
>> > Bernie,
>> >
>> > I don't believe make allows 'circular' dependencies like
>that.  I know
>> > at least some versions do not.  Would be awfully convenient, but I
>> > don't think it is allowed.
>> >
>> > Curt.
>> >
>> On the other hand "FOO += bar" is an extension not available to all
>> makes.  We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place!
>>
>> Bernie, now on his second cup of coffee.
>
>Right, makes me wonder if there is some facility within autoconf/make
>that would allow us to do what we need but we just haven't discovered
>it yet.

Isn't this what  ':='  is for ?
< Full disclosure --  I've never used it though >

However isn't this discussion somewhat academic since the
DEFS += construct is only used in the JSBSim files and that
can easily be moved to the toplevel configure.in,  where IMHO
it really belongs,  along with perhaps other DEFS to conditionaly
configure the other FDM's

just my 0.02$

Cheers

Norman