Norman Vine writes:
 > David Megginson writes:
 > >  Another possibility would be to
 > >build a tool to convert DEM data to VRML and back again,
 >
 > google 'GeoVRML' if you want to go that route
 >
 > >so that a
 > >user could hand-edit the mesh in a tool like Blender; then again, it
 > >would be even more interesting to edit whole tiles in Blender.
 >
 > BUT WHY use blender when there is PPE  !!!

I've spent about 20 hours working in PPE -- I think it's going to be a
great program, but it's still in early days (or at least, I haven't
figured out how to do even basic operations like extrusion yet).

The good news is that if we use VRML, we'll be able to load the mesh
into PPE, Blender, AC3D, or any number of other programs -- people
won't be forced to choose.  GeoVRML does not seem to be widely
supported yet, though (to their credit), the WG has made a Java-based
viewer available for cross-platform use.

By the way, I started using Blender just a couple of days ago.  At
first The non-standard interface scared the @#$%@ out of me, but after
spending an hour or two working through a couple of the dozens or
hundreds of excellent, illustrated, step-by-step tutorials on the Web
(I made a castle, and a pencil) I'm impressed beyond all belief.  Even
*I* might be able to make a 3D plane or cockpit model in that program.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson