Jon S. Berndt wrote:
 > Alex wrote:
 > > For starters, can the JSB filters (etc) stuff be used without
 > > JSBSim?
 >
 > The base class of all JSBSim classes - including the FCS classes - is
 > FGJSBBase. So, technically, no.

This would be a good feature to look at breaking out of the FDM.  At
its most reductionist, a FCS system compares (1) pilot control inputs
and (2) FDM output to produce control surface positions.  None of that
requires access to the internals of the FDM.  A well-designed FCS
would work with any conceivable FDM.

Here's a plausible black-box model: the FCS subsystem takes its
control inputs from the /controls/ property tree, and places its
output into the /fcs/ tree.  So, we'd modify the FDM configurations to
look there instead, and no code change would be necessary.  We could
(unsuccessfully) fly a C172 with a F-16 fly-by-wire system without
change.

 > The way I see it now (and it's just off the top of my head) is that
 > *IF* the JSBSim config file specifies an autopilot for an aircraft,
 > then that autopilot would be used instead of the one from the
 > FlightGear side. This is because I'd also like the ability to run it
 > with JSBSim standalone.

I don't see why moving the FCS out of JSBSim precludes your ability to
run the thing standalone.  You could maintain your own tree
independant of FlightGear as you do right now (or just keep it in the
JSB tree "next to" the FDM).  Alternatively, you could place it in
SimGear, which is designed as a library already.  There are lots of
options.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA