OK: a CygWin update followed by "mv acsite.m4 aclocal.m4" fixed it for me.  Details
below.

Norman Vine wrote:

> Julian Foad writes:
> >
> >Now I've got another problem with it.  I don't seem to need
> >the AC_PREREQ(2.13) any more (it doesn't make any difference
> >to the following output), but I get "CXX =" and "CC ="
> >followed by failure further down.  Although it says "checking
> >whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes", there is no
> >config.cache file before or after I try this.
> >

> >$ ./autogen.sh
> >Host info: CYGWIN_ME-4.90 i686
> > automake: 1.4 (14)
> >
> >Running aclocal
>
> This should be
>
> aclocal -I .

The autogen.sh adds "-I ." only for Irix.  That souns a bit suspicious because I used
to have to use it in CygWin, so I tried it just now, but it didn't make any difference
to my present problem.  I guess it's needed for some versions of the autotools but not
others.

Then I updated my CygWin autotools to the latest, because although my older versions
had been working OK I thought I might have an inconsistent set of different packages.
This led to different errors, and since the CygWin installer doesn't let me return to
earlier versions even though I still have the package files locally, I had to continue.

Host info: CYGWIN_ME-4.90 i686
 automake: 1.4-p5 (14)

Running aclocal
Running autoheader
./aclocal.m4:254: /usr/bin/m4: Warning: Excess arguments to built-in `define' ignored
/usr/autotool/stable/bin/autoheader: Symbol `GZCAT' is not covered by
/usr/autotool/stable/share/autoconf/acconfig.h ./acconfig.h
/usr/autotool/stable/bin/autoheader: Symbol `ZCAT' is not covered by
/usr/autotool/stable/share/autoconf/acconfig.h ./acconfig.h
Running automake --add-missing
automake: Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'; error while making link: File exists

Running autoconf
./aclocal.m4:254: /usr/bin/m4: Warning: Excess arguments to built-in `define' ignored
configure.in:32: AC_PROG_CPP was called before AC_PROG_CC
autoconf: Undefined macros:
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG

Eventually I remembered that Ross Golder had found that "mv acsite.m4 acinclude.m4"
worked for him.  I already had an acinclude.m4 which was identical to my acsite.m4, so
the only effect of this command was to delete acsite.m4.  But it worked!  I wish I
understood this magic.

- Julian