On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:44:42 -0000, "Richard Bytheway"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I seeing on TV recently that they have only recently added full computer
>stabilisation to the Harrier. They had the presenter of the program (a
>qualified military pilot, but not on the Harrier) flying a two-seater.
>There was a switch to choose hover or normal flight, in hover mode the
>throttle controlled elevation and the stick was slip/slide direction
>control (much like the cyclic in a helicopter), in "regular" mode, the
>throttle did speed, and the stick did pitch and roll as usual.
>The comment was that this would leave the pilot more time to see, and
>deal with, other things like finding targets and staying alive.

<snip>

This is the VAAC Harrier and not (AFAIK) anything that's
operational.

http://beyond2000.com/news/Jun_01/story_1171.html

DERA is now the government owned company QinetiQ (who run VAAC
on behalf of MOD) and DSTL, the bit that remained in the Civil
Service[1].

Rick

[1] This is the bit I ended up in.
--

David Farrent and Dougie O'Hara on the Cold War
role of the ROC: 'What a world of sorrow is hidden