David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> David Megginson writes:
>
>  > My proposed solution is to add a layer of abstraction to every
>  > *-set.xml file.  It will be annoying for John and me, but will make
>  > things simpler for everyone else.
>
> Hmm.  On further reflection, this might cause trouble for properties
> that are tied, like /position/altitude, so it would have to be limited
> to things like the 3D model and input bindings.
>
> Perhaps a cleaner solution would be to extend FlightGear to use
> multiple root paths.  For example, if I had
>
>   FG_ROOT=/usr/local/lib/FlightGear:$HOME/.fgfs/
>
> then $HOME/.fgfsrc/Aircraft/dc3-yasim-set.xml could contain properties
> overriding some or all default values from
> /usr/local/lib/FlightGear/Aircraft/dc3-yasim-set.xml.

This same question occured to me when working on the panel stuff.  It seems as
though the -set.xml files are used to select fdm and aircraft type.  On the
other hand panels and skin models are similar by aircraft type but not across
fdm's.

So why not have a -model.xml file that defined the panel and skins parameters
and locate it in the Aircraft/(aircraft model) directory?  (e.g.
$FGROOT/Aircraft/dc3/dc3-model.xml)  By modularizing a little bit, the
multi-root concept work quite nicely.

The only potential idea this would not address is the possibility of having
multiple skin models and panels in the distribution that we want to be able to
choose from the PUI menu or by key binding.  It would be nice to be able to
change the skins on the fly, and I'm thinking that a list of available skins
could be stored and then copied in to the model/path property.  If these were
listed in the -model.xml file, the first one in the list could be considered
the "default".  Then the question would be should the secondary root (eg
$HOME/.fgfs) be considered a complete override, insert in front or add on to
the back of the list.

Best,

Jim