Greg Long writes:

 > I might go ahead and give Debian a shot on the install, seems like the
 > distro of choice, and I have a separate Redhat box (233mhz, don't think
 > its S3 Virge supports OpenGL, I'd have to look) but I could use that for
 > testing  Debian seems to be the choice by large, and if it supports
 > rpm's I might as well muck around with it for a bit.

Debian is a bear to install but a dream to maintain.  While Magic
Carpet makes it easier than it used to be to pull in security fixes
and bug patches for a specific version of RedHat, it doesn't help
upgrading from one version to another.  In Debian, when you're ready
to move from, say, potato, to woody or sid, you just update the paths
in /etc/apt/sources.list, then type

  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade

To move from one RedHat version to another, I usually had to reformat
my hard drive.

All the best,

David

--