On 02 Apr 2002 15:45:18 -0500
  Sam Varner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm working on an automotive simulator, http://vamos.sourceforge.net  A
>while ago, Curt suggested that I try to make my car model work with
>FlightGear.

!!

> I'd like to start working on that now, but I don't know
>where to begin.  Could somebody give me some tips on adding a vehicle
>model to FlightGear?  Thanks.

You might start by looking at the ground dynamics /
landing gear modeling code in the various FDMs (flight
dynamics model). In JSBSim this would be
FGGroundReactions.[cpp|h] and FGLGear.[cpp|h]. You should
look at YASim and LaRCSim code, as well, to get the widest
exposure to how ground reactions are modeled.

Off the top of my head, after first being a bit clueless
on where to start, I'd suggest that you ought to be able
to get pretty far pretty fast in JSBSim by merely
specifying in a config file an "aircraft" that had very
poor aerodynamics ;-)  Theoretically, this shouldn't be
too hard to get a start with. The same is probably true
with YASim, I'm sure Andy will direct you how to do this
with YASim.

One of the problems we face with JSBSim (and which I
haven't had time to deal with, yet) is that ground
reactions can be a little tricky. Maybe a driving sim will
pay enough special attention to that aspect of modeling
that you can help us out with your time.

Jon Berndt
Coordinator,
JSBSim Project
http://jsbsim.sf.net