[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This can be done portably using the standard "string concatenation" feature of
> the language.  The above would look like the following and likely work with
> any reasonably modern compiler (this string concatenation feature did not
> exist in K&R C but did beginning with early versions of ANSI C):
>
>    cout << "usage:\n"
>            "\n"
>            "Nicely formatted text\n"
>            "   that will look\n"
>            " (almost) exactly like it is entered\n"
>            "here when\n"
>            "\n"
>            "   it is displayed by the program.\n"
>            "This is very 'pretty' to be able\n"
>            "         to do.\n";
>
> or (substantially less readable, IMHO, but more C++ like)...
>
>    cout << "usage:" << endl <<
>            endl <<
>            "Nicely formatted text" << endl <<
>            "   that will look" << endl <<
>            " (kind of close to) like it is entered" << endl <<
>            "here when" << endl <<
>            endl <<
>            "   it is displayed by the program." << endl <<
>            "This is very 'pretty' to be able" << endl <<
>            "         to do." << endl;

Note: You 2nd version does *not* use the string concatenation.

The 2nd version boils down to the very C++ dependant

operator<<(operator<<(operator<<(cout, "usage"),endl),...);

(I might have the scoping wrong, but that's not changing the idea behind
it)

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...