On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 03:46 AM, James Turner wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 01:31  am, Andy Ross wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Polley wrote:
>>> I cannot redirect stderr via 'command 2> file' on my Mac, so the easy
>>> solution was out.  I did find that the following command works:
>>
>> Rubbish.  Sure you can.  You just have to run a real shell.  :)
>>
>> Seriously, I'd be shocked beyond measure if bash didn't build and
>> install just fine on OS X.  Use it, it's vastly better than csh.
>>
> Actually, it's even easier. Install Fink, and select the bash package. Oh,
>  and change your shell selection from 'csh' to /sw/bin/bash in
> Terminal.app 's preferences. The idea that anyone doing development under
> OS-X would *not* have Fink installed doesn't bear thinking about :-)

I think this should be added to the OS X build instructions.  I have some
updated instructions that I got from Dave McMahon, which is an updated
version of Darrell's instructions.  I can update the appropriate README if
anyone is interested.

> [note for non-mac people: Fink is a Unix ports tree for OS-X, which uses
> apt / dselect as the packaging and distribution system]

I don't think any open source development can take place without fink.

> Goodbye csh!

I'll miss ya!