Andy Ross writes:
> I should explain the problem a little better.  What's happening is
> that there is no place to put a normal vector in the .ac file.  The
> plib loader thus has to generate its own normals by averaging the
> normals of each polygon attached to a vertex.  For vertices that are
> "inside" an object/texture, this works fine.  But ones on the edge
> can't average in the normal of the polgon(s) that are on the other
> texture, as those are part of a different object in the .ac file.  So
> what happens is that a vertex on one texture has a normal vector that
> is *different* from the normal of the same point on a different
> texture.  This makes that polygon edge look sharp when lit.
>
> What's especially frustrating is that (1) I'm generating this file
> automatically, so I could export the normals explicitly if I wanted
> to, but the file format won't let me; and (2) it's a sphere!
> Generating normals is a ridiculously trivial operation -- they're just
> the coordinate of the vertex.

Somewhere in simgear there is code to generate a plib sphere.  It's
adapted from the glu sphere code, but this code builds a sphere in a
plib scene graph.  We use it to build the moon and the sun I believe.

That doesn't help you directly, but maybe if we extended the
instrument xml so you can specify a primative and a texture and a
placement and the animation variable hooks ... might not be too hard (?)

Regards,