Jonathan Polley wrote:

> Along the lines of adding the -pedantic option, I would like to add an
> ability (probably at ./configure time) to specify additional compile
> options.  Since one of my platforms is a Mac, I would like to be able to
> add -wno_long_double, as it keeps telling me that their size is
> non-portable.

You have this ability already.  You just need to set the "CFLAGS" and "CXXFLAGS"
environment variables while running "configure".  Have a look at the make files first
to see what the default value is.  For GCC it is "-g -O2" for both, so you could do:

[In Bash]

  GCCFLAGS="-g -O2 -wno_long_double"
  CFLAGS="$GCCFLAGS" CXXFLAGS="$GCCFLAGS" ./configure

[In csh? (I'm not sure about this)]

  env CFLAGS="-g -O2 -wno_long_double" CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -wno_long_double" ./configure

- Julian