This is just a thought, and since I'm definitely no expert at the internals,
please feel free to
bash the idea.  This seems like a possibly reasonable way to add other elements
to the scenery,
such as buildings, towers, bridges, roads, etc. I'm just a college kid, haven't
actually worked on
anything major, haven't done massive amounts of research Flightgear or
otherwise, and have
been interested in Flightgear for a few years.  The following has probably been
tried, and discarded,
but bear with me.

Why not use a secondary scenery file, something that works a bit like an
overlay.
Example, a building, in this case, lets make it a cube (nice and regular :)

Set the bottommost point (a centerpoint, if you will) in the center of the x-y
plane.
The z setting of this point will be at ground level (if it's halfway up the
building, the
part of the building below the point should be buried).  A vector in the
building data
to point north (or other standard direction, like down or up) to make sure the
building
gets shown in the right orientation.

Now for the magic (or something):

Take the ground level of the scenery at the centerpoint of the object, and make
that the
altitude of the z coordinate of the object.  Unless there were an
inordinate/complicated
amount of scenery, that might be a solution.  It's similar to the dynamic
scenery, except
the locations of objects are predefined.  Roads could be done in a slightly
different way,
such as a network of lines (I'm probably just proposing what's already been
done).
The endpoints are given as lat/lon.  Since roads almost always follow the
terrain (except
for over/underpasses, tunnels, and other cuts through the terrain, the same "map
the ground
level to the z coordinate" idea should work for roads.

Realistically, I don't see why a secondary package can't take a pregenerated
ground scenery
file, extract the required information with some overlay source information, and
create an overlay
file with all of the required information in some sensible format (after all,
roads are just two points
connected by a line). This overlay could even be optional, in case someone
wishes to use a pristine
scenery set.

JD