To avoid things getting very complex very quickly it might be easier to take a
very simplistic apporach and model the batteries chief characteristics such
as terminal voltage, and ampere/hour capacity. Since there is no such thing
as a perfect power source you could go to much more detail - modelling the
internal resistance of the battery and it's own capacitive and inductive load
characteristics for example. But for the beginning surely we just need to
know how what voltage it will supply and how much current capacity is
available don't we?

I think this would make it easier for situations like alternator offline or
(as happened almost every flight in a C206 I know of!) the fan belt coming
off mid-flight.  I'm sure in these situations one would want to turn off
everything but the essential items like the radio etc. - as I'm not a pilot
(yet!) I don't know.

Furthermore, if we need more accurate battery discharge modelling to represent
the inherent voltage drop when the load approaches or exceeds the maximum the
battery can supply in it's current condition we can have generic functions
in code to model the behaviour and supply the values for the specific case
from XML.

Just my 2p worth :-)

What do people think?

Regards,