I guess it's not just the US that's touchy about its airspace.  I've
been having fun with the new Google news search, and came up with this
story:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5443180&BRD=1467&PAG=461&dept_id=188527&rfi=6

The explanation of the problem is a little confused, though: it had
nothing to do with a flight plan.  In Canada, all *controlled*
airspace between 12,500ft ASL and FL180 is class B, but class G
airspace can also extend up to FL180. (Above FL180 is class A --
IFR-only -- as in the US).

With Victor airways, control-zone extensions, etc., there's not all
that much class G airspace in Southern Canada: in class B airspace ATC
provides positive separation to all VFR and IFR aircraft, so the pilot
needed an ATC clearance (not necessarily a flight plan) and needed to
be using an encoding transponder.  Understandably, ATC was a little
pissed-off to have an apparently NORDO aircraft flying through its
space without clearance, though having the US dispatch F-16s was
probably overkill.

All the best,

David

--