While looking at the 747-400 electrical panel I see that the AC buses are
paralleled.  In this case there is a bus called a Tie Bus that serves as the
connection point for the four engine generators and the two APU generators
and the two external power sources.  The sychronization of the AC buses must
be automatic (it was manual in the 727 - what a pain).  Each engine's main
bus is connected to the Tie Bus by an Isolation Switch, which can be used to
protect the Tie Bus from a bad supplier.

I assume the APU and external sources have an internal logic that prevents
them all from simultaneously powering the Tie Bus, but I don't know what the
logic is.  I vaguely remember the 757 and 767 having the same setup, but I'm
getting too old to remember such things.

Here's a link to my scan of the 747-400 electrical panel layout:
http://home.attbi.com/~davidculp2/747_elec.jpg

Dave Culp