James A. Treacy writes:
> You should get as close to 100% of the contributors to agree as you
> can get. Flightgear needs to be prepared to remove any code written by
> someone who disagrees or who couldn't be contacted and appears later
> on.
>
> FWIW, wine did this earlier this year and they got all but a handful
> of contributors to sign off on the change. The missing had made only
> small contributions that they could easily recode if the need arose.

Question: for a particular source file, if a person contributed a
minor patch or tweak to compile on a new platform, does that person
now have a "full" say in the future of that source, or are they giving
their changes to the author of that file to be placed under the
license terms chosen by the primary author.

My sense is that if it is only minor changes that were contributed by
others, the primary author should be able to maintain complete
"ownership" over the copyright and license terms of that code.

If someone else (in addition to the main author of a particular chunk
of code) contributed new code, or a major rewrite, or something else
significant, then we start getting into gray areas.  It seems like the
primary author of that code probably still could have final say, but
basic courtesy might dictate that the major contributors at least be
consulted ... (?)

If that all was the case, then it still might be nearly impossible to
relicense the entire project given the total number of contributors,
but it might be possible to relicense a smaller sub-section of the
code where the number of identifiable contributors is smaller and
within reason (as long as the resulting license remained compatible
with the rest of the code of course.)

FWIW, this issue arrises when we consider moving code from FlightGear
into SimGear.  SimGear code is LGPL'd and FlightGear code is GPL'd so
a license change would be required.  Hoever, if we attacked this piece
by piece, subsystem by subsytem, it would likely be doable.

And of course, the FlightSim specific stuff would make the most sense
to leave inside FlightGear, but other things like the scenery
subsystem, FDM interface (?), sound manager, time tracking, model
animation, properties, joystick support, etc. might make sense to
migrate over to SimGear as time goes by ...

Regards,