Since we are comparing sims, I can relate my own experience.  I got to
sit down at a C172 sim that was partially complete.  Unfortunately the
primary funder of this project was killed when his 3/4 scale P-51
crashed.

Anyway, they did the bulk of their panel using 2d graphics similar to
our 2d panel, but had a separate radio stack (ok, but sort of chinsey,
probably similar to PFC equipment.)  And they had a *really* slick
magnetic compass.  The 2d graphics were a lot nicer than ours (as in
much more closely and completely matching real C172 instruments) but
as you looked real close, they had chunky pixels ... like they did the
instruments at too low of a resolution, but weren't using any sort of
magnification filtering so the result was blocking/chunky ... like
running your new laptop at 640x480 full screen res.

Their yoke was functional and felt good, but was really clunky looking
and didn't quite look like a C172 setup.  Their rudder pedals were
great with working toe brakes the drove hydraulic pressure sensors.

They had purchased a visual system from someone down in FL that
covered the whole state.  Compared to FlightGear's visuals we pretty
much rock.  They had more detail modeled in the airport environment,
towers, vors, hangers, etc. but not a lot beyond that.  They had full
approach lighting, although it was omni-directional.  Our ground
textures were much nicer, and they had no real ability to do terrain
that I could see which is probably why they picked florida as their
area to cover.  They were running 5 display channels and the update
rate was really chunky, slow, and jerky.  With a couple exceptions,
our open source visuals smoked their commercial visuals (although
neither of us are MSFS from what I hear.)

One of the guys that put this together does aircraft instrumentation
for the purpose of deriving simulator flight dynamics and so their
C172 was *really* good.

They of course do all the fault modeling, and they have a nifty
turbulence/gust model.  I believe their turbulence model came out of
Stanford, so perhaps with a little googling or research, someone could
come up with a paper and perhaps we could get soemthing similar
implimented?

Overall, I think FlightGear compared very favorably on most fronts to
their sim.  We still have work todo, but the barriers we have between
us and a 'full fledged' sim are rapidly being overcome.  Once we get
full approach lighting implimented it's going to be hard to find
significant reasons not to do a 1.0 release ...

Regards,

Curt.