Marcel Wittebrood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Dear Jim,
>
> you state that "With the 1903 they trussed it all up so that only the
trailing edges warped, making it even more aileron like."

> We also have the smithsonian museum drawings from the 1903 flyer. The
> inboard wing is trussed up but the outboard wing does not have any truss
> cables and is thus free to warp when the pilot is moving his hip saddle.
> Because there is no torsional stiffness, the tip of the outboard wing is
> fully rotated.

Yes, what you are saying about the trussing is true.  The intention was
to create a stiff platform for the engine.  But Orville states that the
entire leading edge of the upper and lower planes (wings) remained parallel
due to the way the control wire was configured (and probably the rigidity of
the leading edge framing).

One of the things that I have trouble with is visualizing the warping
movement on this particular machine.  There aren't many photographs of it
and I haven't seen anything that illustrates the degree to which it warps and
the shape of the fully warped wing.  The rear lateral wing member must have
some effect as well so that the warping isn't uniform across the area that moves.

Best,

Jim