> Moving sidewards (e.g. due to wind) is possible and the direction and
> amount is calculated, but I don't know the correct API calls to convert
> the linear movement to a change in lat/lon.

During my balloon flight I noticed that the controls were much more complex that just
a burner.
This particular balloon had 3 separate burners, two of which could be plumbed together
with a cross flow valve, which enabled both to be operated by one action.
Each burner could produce two types of flame, hot and loud, or not quite so hot, but
softer. The softer flame being used close the ground, especially over livestock. And
of course the amount of flame was user controllable.

There were also several climbing type ropes hanging down into the basket from the
envelope.
They appeared to control flaps (as in doors) in the side of the envelope that could be
opened to obtain rotation of the balloon, one to open a vent at the top, and one that
was used to deflate the balloon.
This last control was a surprisingly simple control. The top of the balloon was a
separate circle of fabric. It was attached to the rest of the envelope by radial
ribbons, and velcro to hold the edge of the circle to the top edge of the rest of the
envelope.
When you want to let all the hot air out (on the ground only I presume), you pull the
rope and the top parts company with the sides and leaves a 2 foot gap all around the
top. Voila - deflated balloon in about 5 minutes.

Richard