Major A wrote:
> There is another issue with the A4 though -- pressing shift-KP8 gives
> a default view which is nicely out of the window, but the instruments
> are no longer on the screen.

You mean that the view is looking too far up, above the level of the
instruments, right?  Not that there's a rendering error preventing
them from being drawn?

> This is probably a simple bug in the xml files, but I don't have the
> time to dig into it and fix it.

It's actually a little deeper than that.  The keypad "8" view control
sets the view straight ahead.  But that's too high for a typical
fighter panel.  For visibility reasons, military jets essentially put
the panel in the pilots lap.  The a4-set.xml file defines the default
configuration for view 0 as looking down by 17° to give a better
default view.

But it's only a default startup setting -- the keypad bindings change
the current values.  There's no "return to default" binding anywhere.

This can be fixed in XML; but it requires defining a place to put
"default" settings for the view, getting all the aircraft to adhere to
them and rebinding a key or button to copy these values.  That kind of
consensus is hard to come by, so no one's done it. :)

FWIW, I have a joystick hat mapped to pan the view and use that
exclusively.  Once you get used to the 3D cockpit, you really don't
mind the lack of a default.  If I want to look down, I just look down.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA