Carsten.Hoefer wrote:
> Forgetting about all 'unsafe' situations in helicopters, do we have
> one in flightgear? Is it possible to model one with the existing
> flight models we use?

Not without a lot of code work.  Helicopters have a bunch of effects
that don't exist in the current FDMs.

Things like asymmetric lift effects would need to be revisited. Both
YASim and JSBSim model "P factor", which is what the same effect is
called on a fixed wing propeller aircraft, via a hack that isn't
general enough to handle ~90 degree AoAs.  Other stuff, like blade
flapping and precession of the main rotor just don't exist and would
need to be done from scratch.

For myself, I don't find PC simulation of helicopters very
interesting.  Existing throttles don't have anywhere near enough
precision to simulate a collective, IMHO.  Helicopter pilots maintain
altitude by feeling for very slight changes in vertical acceleration
and adjusting with tiny movements of the collective.  There's no way
we can simulate that well.  We could do it with an autopilot like
device, of course, but where's the fun in that?  You might as well
just install "Commanche MCMXIV" or whatnot to get same level of
simulation realism. :)

If you want to try hovering in FlightGear, try the Harrier.  That
thing is really difficult to hover, for all the same reasons that the
real aircraft is difficult to hover.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA