I'm looking at doing some fault modeling ... things like failing
various instruments, CDI, GS, to/from flag failing, and quite a few
other things with avionics, electrical, fuel, flaps, engines, etc.

What makes the most sense to me is to create a section for faults in
the property tree /sim/faults/

Once this subtree is populated, the the various instruments could use
these in condition statements to decided what to draw (or not draw) in
the case of a failure.  Since the failures are flagged in the property
tree, it would be easy to build an instructor gui to set/unset them.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,