Curt,

> Could you fake something as an equation:
>
>   $ curt\@flightgear.org $
>
> latex2html would convert this to a graphic automatically ... although
> in equation mode you have to worry about things getting interpreted as
> equations and variables ...

Yes, latex2html does, but tex4ht which I use does not, at least not for
simple one-liners (which some consider an advantage). I might look into the
options if there's something hidden or if I can trick it into creating gifs.
It does for square roots and more complicated stuff.

The idea looks pretty indeed. I'll keep it, and when I'll find some time
I'll try once more to get latex2html running under MiKTeX (it is possible,
just non-trivial) or might even consider switching to fptex which is sort of
tetex for windows, which has some flaws, too, but comes with a pre-installed
latex2html (which last switch might be non-trivial as I need LaTeX for some
business stuff, though).

BTW, this problem does concern all addresses somewhere on the FlightGear
pages...

Thanks, Michael

--
        Michael Basler, Jena, Germany