This may sound like a lame idea.  I am not all that versed on xml technology,
 but it seems to me that there is a standard form for something like this.  In
the database world there is something called a "Data dictionary" that works as
a central repository for data items, their types, default values, short
descriptions, long descriptions, etc.

Is this the sort of thing that a standard "DTD" document provides?  Or could
we develop our own dictionary of sorts?  I'm suggesting that this could
provide the documentation we need (if it is centralized).

If it assumed an active role in the property system, then it could be used as
a resource to simplify coding individual xml files, since default values,
types, and other properties could be sourced from the central "dictionary".

Best,

Jim