On 1/15/03 at 12:39 AM Jon Stockill wrote:

>On the subject of runways - I've been working on the database today.
>
>I can import and export the xplane database, and have some code which
>parses the DAFIFT data, and compares it with the existing database,
>however:
>
>1. Not all airfields in the xplane database are in DAFIF
>2. Not all DAFIF airfields are in xplane
>therefore
>3. There's no single common identifier for a field

Yep, here's my stats from the program I ran to compare the databases when I
imported the atis data:

******* STATS *******
9873 airports in DAFIF
16937 airports in default.apt
1384 airports had K added to match default.apt
2 airports had a letter removed to match default.apt
4057 airports could not be matched with default.apt
1077 of these had no valid ICAO code or FAA host ID
*********************
1247 airports with ATIS
22567 records in com file without ATIS
0 airports had ATIS but could not be found in the map
98 airports with ATIS had K added to match default.apt
2 airports with ATIS had a letter removed to match default.apt
202 airports with ATIS could not be matched with default.apt
Total of 1045 airports added to default.atis
Total of 1286 unique ATIS frequency/locations written
 done

Note that that's not the most recent Dafif though.  Typically a lot of US
airfields needed K added to a 3 letter identifier in the Dafif to match
default.apt.  I've attached the program I wrote to go through it - its very
very rough but may give you some ideas.  Note that you have to be carefull
with munging identifiers to fit the two data sources - of the 6 airports
which could be matched from a 4 letter Dafif code to a 3 letter default.apt
code, only 2 of them were actually the same airfield.  A similar caution
probably applies to adding 'K' - it'd be worth checking the Dafif country
code to ensure its a US airfield you're doing it to.

>Also, how do we want to handle updates - I can track how everything was
>last updated now, so from an initial import of the xplane database I can
>update it with DAFIF, *but* since the DAFIF info has no taxiway data, if
>the runway positions get changed slightly the taxiways won't line up.
>Updating *only* fields with no taxiway info, or which were last
>updated/created by DAFIF data is possible. Manual updates are another
>problem - if someone goes to the effort of correcting data then we don't
>want to overwrite it with potentially less accurate info from one of the
>databases.
>
>If anyone has any ideas on how we should prioritise the information then
>I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas.

Hmm, its a bit late (1.30am) to think about all that stuff now, but believe
me, you've taken on a huge, but extremely important job.  I'd say maintain
multiple entries for each airfield if necessary - xplane, Dafif and manual,
and then a choice can be made at render time which to use.  I'd suggest
that basics are to allow manual entries/corrections to be made which aren't
overwritten by x-plane/Dafif updates, to allow xplane/Dafif updates, and to
track where entries come from.  Have fun!!!

Cheers - Dave