On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 00:59:04 +0100,
Christian Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:07:48 -0000,
> > "Jim Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > > No doubt now that the focus will be on the left wing.  But I'm
> > > wondering, is there anything that could have been done had the
> > > assessment gone the other way?
> > >
> > > ..heavy sigh...
> >
> > ..I don't know, but we could try model it right now, to see if there
> > _are_ viable options, such as abandoning the launch, jettisoning the
> > tank and boosters somewhere (out towards the sea) and return for a
> > rather prompt landing, it would have prevented re-entry heat loads
> > to the airframe.
>
> Dunno, prpbably their energy wasn't enough, but couldn't they try to
> make it to the IIS and use a Progress (IIRC) to make it back, if they
> figured out that this shuttle wasn't save enough to return?

..assuming the orbits were close enough, would it work for 10 people?

..I'm talking about modelling the _launch_, we _have_ the re-entry
(tentatively) modelled.  Then, it would be possible to play the
what-if games, such as aborting the launch, jettison the boosters
and fuel tank, and possibly shoot touch-and-go's with the onboard
fuel meant for leaving the athmosphaere and initial re-entry.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: