On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 07:40  pm, David Megginson wrote:

It's more complicated than that.  DME receivers (which are UHF) can
use TACANs to get distance information -- usually, you do that by
tuning in a fake paired VOR frequency.  For example, if I tune my DME
to 108.8, or slave it to a NAV radio tuned to 108.8, I get distance
readings from the UPP TACAN at CYOW, even though there's no VOR.  Can
the paired frequency be deduced from the channel?
Right now, I think the answer is no. I was hoping that such TACANs simply listed the fake frequency in their FREQ column, but I've got checks for that in place and I'm not hitting them (just got that code working).

That said, the UPP TACAN is not listed in NAV.TXT, if you know of any others, please let me know and I'll check. (Or did you mean UUP, 'Uplands'?)

H&H
James

--
Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies.