You may recall me (and other Cygwin users) having problems compiling Metakit
for some time. These were the issues: (i) I had to specify --with-tcl=no (no
big deal), (ii) I had to eleminate 30 lines of code from strings.cpp which
would not compile (ugly).

I contacted the author Jean-Claude Wippler about that and got an immediate
reply. He suggested an update to the current version 2.4.9.1. As he states,
version 2.4.3 which we provide with SimGear had "some serious flaws".

I downloaded the recent version 2.4.9.1 from http://www.equi4.com/metakit/
and tried to build it (Cygwin, GCC3.2) and, voila, both problems are gone.
Moreover, I re-build all FlightGear on top of it and don't observe anything
wrong.

As a result, could we provide this recent version with Simgear?

Thanks, Michael

--
        Michael Basler, Jena, Germany
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]