Melchior FRANZ wrote:

What are repeatable buttons used for?

 - to let a digital input device (regular button, or digital hat
   switch) emulate an analog device

What about keyboard buttons (keys)? Are they not going to work in the same way? Or are they already handled properly (FGFS implementing a fixed repeat rate while a key is held down)?

I looked through all joystick config files and here is what
repeatable buttons are used for:

 - set the view direction & elevation via hat switch
 - set rudder & elevator & aileron trim
 - set engine boost & mixture & propeller pitch
 - set rudder (only in my own joystick file :-)
(and brakes, you added)

That's a useful list to look at. For instance, none of those things require to move in exact multiples of a specified step size, unlike the radio tuning which might.

- Julian