> Most VOR receivers and indicators have a clever little trick -- if you
> tune them to the reciprocal of your current radial, they will display
> a "TO" flag and reverse the needle sense, greatly simplifying
> navigation towards a VOR.  If your VOR indicator is displaying 90
> "TO", however, it's important to remember that you are still on the
> 270 radial.

It is especially hard to get used to when flying with a HSI unit
since the card is turning with heading and the selected bearing
is moving as the card rotates ...

>From the point of view of learning what VOR and NDB systems do,
actually trying to fly a holding pattern on either type of station
rapidly shows what the needles do ... and why ... for the contrast.

> the best way to see that is to try them with a VOT, which
> transmits a 360 radial in every direction.  I haven't used an RMI, but
> I expect that the needle would always point south, no matter where the
> VOT was.  With an ADF, the needle actually does point towards the
> station.

The worldwide VOT transmitter is on top of a mountain at the south pole,
which is why everybody is always on the 360 degree radial from it.
They'd have put it at the north pole, which is closer, except that would
mean putting it on an ice floe that is drifting slowly. Someone would have
had to visit it every year and drag it a few miles back into position.
8-)