Matthias Heukäufer wrote:
Hi!

I'm afraid of getting expelled from this list someday for bringing this subject up so often, but I haven't received an answer yet.
My problem is that updating the basepackage via a dialup-connection and CVS seems almost impossible to me. First, the cvs client is obviously _sending_ every one of the local files to the server before updating my local copy. See this (partial) result of cvs -t update -APd:

Well, CVS hos to know the difference between the file on the server and the local file. One way is to receive *all* files and compare them locally, but you could call this approach ftp ...

Another way is to sent the file to the server and let the server decide if they are different.

Sending default.apt.gz alone kept my modem busy for about 5 minutes. Is there something wrong with my cvs-client or is this the normal behavior?
Second, this method of updating seems a waste of bandwidth to me, as the bigger part of all the files transmitted to and from the server are likely not to have changed since the last update.

Try using cvs with the -z5 option. This compresses the files quite a bit.

Curt, could you therefore enable rsync-access to the basepackage at flightgear.org? This would make it possible for people without fast internet connections like me to run the latest release of flightgear.

While rsync is a very good way to sync two files, it really has an advantage when a binary marked file has changed in CVS. So for the base package this could give a faster download *and* less bandwidth consumption for the university.

Erik