The quote that comes to mind goes something like "Sure the Mustang can't do what the Spitfire does, but doesn't do it over Berlin."

Spitfires, like the Me's and Fw's lacked range because they were conceived of as tactical, not strategic, aircraft. They did their job very well, being more maneuverable that the Mustang, but all had difficulties operating cross channel, much less at the longer ranges required to escort bombers into Germany, even with drop tanks.

Some British pilots, after seeing the Mustangs, asked about changes in the Spitfire to achieve comparable range only to be told that the structural changes needed just weren't feasible.

Regards,

Charlie

Jim Wilson wrote:

Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

I thought one of the major features of the p51 was it's range. I think it was one of the few, if not the only fighter that had the range and endurance for bomber escort duties from the UK into Germany.

I believe that the German a/c were generally of lower range and were more likely to be flown from captured airfields nearer the battle front for the attack role. Fighters based in Germany would be there primarily for defence against attacks and so didn't need great range.

That's right AFAIK.  They added drop tanks to really extend the range.  Of
course there were the Spitfires, which I think must have flown missions into
Germany.  Pretty much all the fighters were involved in either bomber escorts
or enemy bombing mission intercepts.  That's about all fighters are good for.
 It was just the Japanese that decided they could be used as bombs as well.

Best,

Jim