Curtis L. Olson writes:

> David Megginson writes:
> > Curtis L. Olson writes:
> >
> >  > Most high end commercial sims explicitly prevent flying under
> >  > bridges.  It's one of the first things most people think to try,
> >  > but it's not something a serious training sim would want to
> >  > encourage.
> >
> > That sounds fairly reasonable.  However, as SimGear and TerraGear
> > evolve towards general vehicle simulation, we will want to allow cars,
> > boats, and trains to pass under bridges.
>
> It should be pretty easy to get this behavior.  When you get the list
> of terrain intersection points, just ignore any points that are higher
> than you, and accept the highest point that is at or below the current
> vehicle elevation.  I thought this was the way we had it working years
> ago, but that section of the code has been optimized several times
> since then ...

I added an optimization at one time that did this as a 'side effect'
but those that were using FlightGear as a training device to land on
aircraft carriers convinced me <us> to revert to the previous method.

I am not really sure how I did this anymore and I didn't keep the
code but perhaps it still lives in the CVS ??

Norman