msvc6 update - 23 Jul 2003

Wow! What a difference a few months can
make ... there's oodles more to see - the
terminal buildings, sf tower, bridge, etc,
etc, etc ... fantastic ...

The fgfs base 0.9 data cvs download was around
6 hours on my ISDN (56K V120) dial up line,
some 140 MB, but the results seem worth it.

Many, many thanks to all ...

Some items along the way.

1. cvs of plib (10-mins) compiled fine, except
for js.lib (and js_d.lib), but was easy
fixed, if you have done it before ... :-)

msvc6 rejected the js.dsp provided, but
i simply deleted, and re-created it, using
the makefile.am contents as advice ...

2. cvs of 0.3 SimGear (10-mins) also compiled fine,
except a lot, lot later i noted
screen/extension.cxx had been missed.
Maybe this has already been fixed in cvs?

Later, since i like 'seeing' the area(s)
where i have 'no tiles' i changed the
default "Ocean" to "Unknown" in sgGenTile(),
and the resultant red/white check pattern
'looks' more correct, IMHO, for 'unknown' ...

3. compile of 0.9 cvs of FlightGear (15-mins)
went fairly smoothly ...

;added a few more cases of disabling
the 256 truncation error (in debug)

; provided the odd typedef when the compiler
bauked at the some
 map<string,vector<thinge *>>::iterator it
declarations

; excluded ssgEntityArray.cxx from
the build due to compiler BIG woes

; dropped in my small hud frame rate code

; added a js="1" to joysticks.xml, and
changed name, excluded 'Microsoft ', and the settings
in Microsoft/sidewinder.xml

; and i was up and away.

Well, i added the following into fgInitFGAircraft()
to use the --aircraft=ufo in my %FG_ROOT%\system.fgfsrc.

    if( aircraft.empty() ) {
       // Check for $fg_root/system.fgfsrc
       SGPath config( globals->get_fg_root() );
       config.append( "system.fgfsrc" );
       aircraft = fgScanForOption( "--aircraft=", config.str() );
    }

but perhaps this 'omission' was 'by design', and i
can wear that ... :-/

The overall 'scene-in-distance' is 'darker' (at mid-day)
than i remember, but maybe before i had 'fog' on ... :-(

I completed a full 'border' flight (in ufo
at max.warp - abt 3K-klics in atmosphere) - that is
flying the scenery-redwhitechecked 'border' of my
restricted world ... usually at around 2-3000 feet,
but turning, dropping, and stopping when i see
something 'interesting' ... a ufo, remember ...

Everything I tried, which was not much really, seemed
to work ok. Of course being a ufo it is possible to
fly 'under' the ground, and look back up to see the
'trees' generated into the distance ... great scenery ...

i have updated the 2002 config.h.msvc6 file, and sent
a copy to Curt. If ok, maybe he will add it to cvs ...
although as most have indicated, they keep their
'own' version of FG config.h, if NOT using an
auto-gen compiler system ...

Wish i could find something to really 'help' in, but
my old w98 'system' has its limitations ...

Keep up the great development ...

rgds,

Geoff.

e-mail: to hotmail, with moniker of geoffmclane