On Thursday 07 August 2003 03:53, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>

> > The B-52 is proving quite a tricky one to get right.  Some of the
> > characteristics almost seem mutaully exclusive and it can be hard to
> > reconcile them.  For example, I found max speeds of 554 kts @ 21000 ft and
> > 495 kts at 46500 ft but I can't get a working solution that'll climb that
> > high.  Another characteristic is the take-roll & clearence for a fifty ft
> > obstacle these are 7000ft & 9100ft respectively, which is difficult to
> > reconcile with the speed and alt ratings.  Yet another 'unusual'
> > characteristic are the flaps.  These are pretty big but only have two
> > positions  - fully deployed (35deg) or fully retracted, with no in-between
> > settings and can tend to produce huge pitch changes, which is the last
thing
> > you want in a relatively under-powered a/c like the B-52 at low speed.
> >
> > In other words, I dunno why it's not stalling properly.
> >

> Try this (diffs to current CVS version):
>
> http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/b52.diff
>
> For some reason YASim isn't going to work with an approach AoA of 0.5...even

Oops!  That wasn't right - I've got a few versions I've been trying and I
think I may have sent the wrong one.  I'd been experimenting to try to
establish trends.  I'd guess in real life it should be less than 2 deg.  From
what I've been told and from what I can make out from pics and video, the
approach is very shallow and it should be a little bit nose down.

> if that is the correct figure.  I'm not sure if the angle is supposed to
> include the wing incidence (which is considerable toward the tips).

The wing incidence is 6 deg so if that should be included in the approach AoA
I guess it should be 7 or 8 deg.  I dunno about this.

> Set cruise close to where you want the ceiling and use full throttle.  The
way
> the solver works these aren't exactly real cruise figures but more like max
> performance figures.  Also IIRC the approach help approximate stalls.

554 @ 21000ft & 495 @ 46500ft were the two maxes I've tried.  I can get 554 @
21000ft but I couldn't get it over 38000ft, and it took ages to crawl there.
This was still below the rated speeds.  I haven't been able to get it to
solve using 495kts @ 46500ft.  Yet;)

> My quick calcs show 26.0m for wing length.  The aircraft has a 56m wingspan.

Strange - I'll have to check my measurments again.

> I messed with a few other wing values...to get it closer to what it should
be.
> Experiment with individual changes to see the results.  IIRC you should
target
> about 10 (5-20) for drag coefficient. 200 or less for LR and near -0.9 or so
> for approach elevator.
>
> I decreased stall AoA and width for the hstab.  And finally I increased the
> thrust of the engines to 17,000lb max (B-52H).

I figured the hstab would have a pretty high stall AoA as it's basically a
delta.  Increasing the engine thrust is really making it a different a/c.
The problem with doing a G or an H is that they have no ailerons and I don't
want to have to figure that out untill I've got the F working better.

The real a/c was able to get to that height with lower rated engines so there
should be some way of getting close with YASim.  Another characteristic
that's out is the range - that's on the low side too, and I think the two
probably go together.  I've got an idea I haven't calculated the weight
correctly and it's too high.

> This configuration gets closer...about 34000ft.  You might want to just
> overstate the thrust a little (think I read somewhere that they've actually
> used up to 8x22,000lb engines), as it doesn't seem anything else is really
> incorrect.
>
> Also, be careful to decrease vertical speed as you get higher.  It is very
> easy to get behind the power curve at high altitude.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

Ta for the diff - it'll be interesting to have a look at it.

LeeE