On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 14:47, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm working on a Boeing 717-200 flightmodel (jsbsim) and the 3D visual model in
> blender.
>
> (I've uploaded it here for now:
> http://cockpit.varxec.de/fgfs/B717_model_1.tar.bz2  [180k])
>
> This is my first attempt at a flight model. I've learned some stuff
> about aerodynamics in the process, but am still barely scratching the
> surface.
>
> Since the 717(aka MD-95) is still pretty new, there's not much
> information about it on the net.
> I've used some numbers from the tables at www.bh.com
> I got started with David Culp's Aero-Matic scripts but heavily modified
> the fdm config file afterwards.
>
> My biggest problem with the flightmodel is that elevator seems _very_
> sensitive. (ie. when flying with the keyboard, pressing up/down _once_
> will let the plane pitch about 10+ degrees up/down)
> I compared my values in the <FLIGHT_CONTROL> section of the
> config with some others, like the F100, and they are the same although
> the F100 doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems.
> I've also used MoI values similar to those of the F100.
> Any suggestions for the fdm/aero beginner ?

The problem is probably not in the flight controls, but in the aero.
Try either reducing pitching moment due to elevator or increasing
pitching moment due to alpha.  I can be more specific if you e-mail
me your config file.

One note of caution: the keyboard increments are necessarily kind of
big anyway.

> Another problem (I think) is the lack of lift. I have only found
> something for the DC-9 (which is granddaddy of the 717):
> Clmax=2.0
> Aero Matic guessed around 1.4 for my input.

1.4 is probably a skosh high for flaps up.  For full landing flaps,
it's going to be considerably higher.  Do you have any stall speeds?

> Now, I don't know how to correct that into the values in the fdm config.
>

> 3D Modelling:
> I've messed with blender a few times over a couple of years now.
> But I'm not a big artist and I am not very good with coming up with
> smart ways of how to model a certain thing. I was just wondering if
> there's a blender tutorial for modelling planes, esp. for flightgear.
> I googled for it but didn't find anything.
> The fuselage front and rear were the biggest problems for me. I ended up
> using nurbs circles along the length of the plane and then converting
> the nurbs circles into meshes. Then I manually created the faces (ie.
> marking 4 vertices, FKEY, until done) which was tedious work :)
> Is there a better way of doing this ?
>
> I've got the basic model finished, now I need to add(or seperate) the
> moving surfaces out of the wing and tail. Maybe cutting out using
> boolean ops. Is that how you do this ?
>
> It'd be nice if we had a tutorial (like those of the blender community)
> of how to make a visual model for flightgear using blender.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>

> Regards,
> Manuel

Tony Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>