Curt

> Outlook is a program that (doesn't have to) but seems happy to run
> just about any program anyone on the internet wants to send it.  I've
> heard stories that in some cases, outlook will open/run the attachment
> silently behind the scenes even if you just delete the message without
> reading it.  It's one of those pieces of software that was written to
> be used in a happy place where everyone get's along and no one does
> anything mean to each other ... like at ... I don't know ... tele
> tubby land or something.

I don't want to spoil the party, but please bear in mind that people on the
flightgear lists (who by and large tend to know what they are doing) who choose
to use Outlook or Outlook Express are likely to feel alienated by the
perpetuation of anti-Microsoft arguments that may have been valid at some point
in history but which are no longer relevant.

I'm not an apologist for Microsoft, but there has to be room for rational
analysis of the current rather than historical situation, i.e. that for anyone
prepared to take sensible precautions as Jon and myself (and no doubt others)
have done, Outlook and Outlook Express remain valid choices of email client.

Undoubtedly many installations of these email clients, particularly in the home
environment, are unsafe, but used properly the software itself is not.  The most
realistic prospect for a widespread improvement in the global email-virus
situation is for the relevant options currently available in Outlook Express to
be widely publicised. The alternative, for everyone to change their browser, is
simply not going to happen, at least not in the short term, though Microsoft
themselves could well precipitate a move in this direction if and when they stop
developing Outlook Express.

Mally

---