I've added a new option to set an overcast ceiling quickly on the
command line:

  --ceiling=FT_ASL[:THICKNESS_AGL]

The default thickness is 2000 ft if the option is provided but the
thickness is not included.  For example,

  --ceiling=1000:200

will create an overcast layer starting at 1000 ft MSL and extending up
to 1200 ft MSL.

  --ceiling=3000

will create an overcast layer from 3000 ft MSL to 5000 ft MSL.

This is especially useful for setting up for practicing instrument
procedures.  For example, if you want to practice an NDB approach with
an MDA of 1020 MSL and an advisory visibility of 1 3/4 miles (2816 m),
you can do this to bring the weather down to minimums:

  fgfs --ceiling=1100 --visibility=2900

I usually like to add --random-wind just to keep things interesting (I
also usually start in the air).

All the best,

David