Norman Vine wrote:

vmap0 can be off by ~500 meters and still be considered accurate since it is 1:1,000,000

Every time I see a map scale ratio like "1:1000000" for digital mapping data, I am confused. For a paper map it means "1 length unit on the map represents 1000000 length units in real life", but a line segment in digital data has no fixed length: it can be drawn to any arbitrary scale by the display software.

I assume there is a convention about what a scale ratio means in digital mapping. Please can someone enlighten me? Then I might be able to understand the first part of that statement (about the accuracy).

- Julian