Unfortunately, while the presets hierarchy brought some benefits, it
also broke saving and restoring flights.  I think that it's time to
consider doing away with the presets hierarchy, and trying something
like this:

1. Make an in-memory copy of the property tree that we can revert to
   when the user wants to reset; we could even keep a stack of reset
   points, if that was useful to anyone.

2. Add a few /sim/startup properties to indicate what information
   should be used for position, orientation, etc.  For example,

   /sim/startup/init/position-type : (latlon|airport|navaid|runway)
   /sim/startup/init/altitude-type : (msl|agl|glidepath)
   /sim/startup/init/orientation-type : (rph|runway)
   /sim/startup/init/time-type : (utc|local|sunpos)

   etc.

I'm sure that people can think of a better classification.  From this
point on, then, our initialization code can simply look at these to
decide whether to initialize based on the airport, etc.

All the best,

David