On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 01:20 pm, Erik Hofman wrote:

Speed brakes are on the top of the wing ( the extrados ? ) and can be used flying,
On civilian aircraft and gliders this is usually the case. Military
types can have them in different places - such as the F16 (on top of the
fuselage?), the Buccaneer (opening tail cone) etc.

F-15 : top of the fuselage.
F-16 : horizontally along the fuselage, between the horizontal tail and
turbine compartment, at the end of the strakes.

One thing I've never been clear on - is there a distinction between 'things you deploy in the air' and 'thing you deploy on touchdown'? I know the things I call spoilers on the wings of big jets can be extended in flight to slow the aircraft, as well as auto-deploying (more?) on touchdown to kill lift + decelerate.

But, I can't imagine deploying the split tail brake of the Fokker 100 while in the air .... is this actually ok, or is there some definite separation of usage?

On a related point, do any of the FDMs / FlightGear model an increase in buffet / vibration / noise when deploying spoilers (or indeed, lots of flap) at high speed?

For thrust reversers, as well as a sleeve, you also get two (or more?) segments of the exhaust pipe that pivot at their rear end, to redirect the thrust. I think the fokker has this type of reverser. Playing with google image search turned up the following: (2nd is especially nice)

http://www.thrustair.com/dc9_thrust_reverser.jpg
www.robl.w1.com/Pix-4/ C970493.jpg

Anyway, the sooner FG / the FDMs / the planes support more of these devices, the happier I'll be - because I habitually fly my approaches too fast, and auto-spoilers really help stick the plane to the ground :-)

H&H
James