Jim Wilson wrote:

Ah yes, didn't think of that. A couple of suggestions:

1). Default to the 2D HUD unless there's a specific aircraft level
configuration parameter made to override it (e.g. for the F16 2D panel).

2). Use the default HUD design in 2D HUD mode.  The one that currently comes
up in 2D HUD mode now is not very useful.

If we're only concerned about realism we should just ditch the HUD as a
default feature.  But if we leave it in it should work as it used to for the
majority of aircraft without special configuration.

Right now it just doesn't work.

The HUD needs an overhaul, that's for sure. But different people seem to expect different things from the HUD. I for one would like the HUD to behave like a HUD. right now it partially does that. The 2d doesn't.

What the HUD needs to do is translate the real positions (ladder for instance) into a smaller display by compressing it with the proper value(s). Right now the 2d HUD code doesn't do that.

Next thing I really want to see in the modified HUD code is the ability to set the height, width and distance to the viewer so I can project the HUD information in the appropriate display region. There are quite a number of different HUD layouts (small, wide angle, different aspect ratios, etc.)

I see no real solutions for the current code but to leave it like it is right now.

Erik